Wednesday, November 21, 2012

As I become a member of the bar, Burma's lawyers return to the bar (Myanmar/Burma)

On Friday November 9, I was sworn in to the New York State Bar Association. It was the culmination of long years of study, tuition money, and procrastination. I'm not a practicing lawyer, so the symbolically the moment meant very little to me. But I was relieved to see that more disbarred lawyers in Myanmar are being reinstated. According to Irrawaddy, U Aung Thien, one of the NLD's most prominent lawyers, was reinstated. At least 13 of the 24 other disbarred lawyers have also received their licenses, although Pho Phyu, an activist lawyer working on behalf of dispossessed farmers, has not. This is certainly a step in the right direction. Here's hoping the government keeps to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment