The Pyithu Hluttaw Speaker reported the Hluttaw that Assessment Commission of Existing Laws formed on 28 August will be renamed to Studying, Examining and Reviewing Commissions on Legal Affairs and Special Cases. The commission will be formed with 15 members, including Chairman Deputy Speaker of Pyithu Hluttaw, Vice-Chairman U Thein Swe of An Constituency and U Htay Myint of Myeik Constituency, members Ambassador (Retd) U Lin Myaing, Director-General (Retd) U Than Tun from Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Professor (Retd) Dr Aung Tun Thet, Lt-Col Aung Khin Thein of Judge Advocate-General Office of the Commander-in-Chief (Army) Office, Professor Dr Tin May Tun, Prfessor Dr Thida Oo, Director (Retd) U Tin Win of Supreme Court, Region Law Officer (Retd) U Khin Maung Oo, Advocate U Myint Lwin, Advocate U Than Maung, Deputy Director (Retd) Daw Than Than Yi of Union Attorney-General Office.
The secretary will be announced separately. Duties, authorities, rights and terms are as follow:-
Duties and rights of the commission
(1) The commissiona.
a. will have to suggest amendment, revoking and drafting of laws after studying existing laws to the Hluttaw through the Pyithu Hluttaw Speaker.
b. will have to report to the Hluttaw through the Hluttaw Speaker after studying special cases, if any, from legal standpoint.
c. will have to accomplish duties assigned by the Hluttaw Speaker within designated period.
d. will have to share duties within the commission for special cases categorized by the Pyithu Hluttaw Speaker.
e. will have to make suggestions if requested by the Pyithu Hluttaw.
(2) The commission shall invite responsible persons of related organizations and discuss with them.
(3) The commission members could freely make discussions if not contrary to provisions in the Constitution of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and Pyithu Hluttaw Laws.
(4) Behaviours and words of a member in the commission meeting are not to be publicized. The commission will have to approve the meeting record with detailed
discussions. The records shall not be distributed. Copy of the report of the Hluttaw will have to be sent to the Hluttaw Office to file as a case.
(5) The commission meeting could be convened as and when necessary and the meeting is valid if half of the members attend it.
Rights and opportunities of the commission
(1) The commission members shall enjoy allowances of Hluttaw representatives in addition to rights designated by the Hluttaw when they are in the commission-based region to perform the duty of the commission and to attend commission meeting and whey they are traveling on duty.
(2) The commission members are immune from other laws regarding discussions in commission meetings apart from Pyithu Hluttaw Law.
The commission is Union-level institution in accord with Sub-section (h) of Section (2) of Pyithu Hluttaw Law and its term is not more than one year.
The Pyithu Hluttaw Speaker explained that the commission has done its functions about five months ago. In so doing, occasionally encountering with irregular cases such as legal affairs, political and international affairs, economic and social affairs is very likely. With regard to legal affairs, it has been tried to include retired personnel and currently discharging personnel from judicial departments, personnel discharging at and retired from the Attorney-General Office of the Union and courts at different levels, advocates and lawyers, and instructors giving lectures on law in the commission.
Likewise, ambassadors, directors-general, and officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ministry who have experience in political and international affairs are assigned to the commission to be able to deal with political and international affairs.
So, the commission thanks to its comprehensive organizational structure can contribute greatly in analyzing special cases which emerge occasionally.
Hluttaws are mainly promoting the interests of the nation and the public. The commission was formed with selected members for it is assumed that the commission
members can contribute to not only the Hluttaw but also the national and public interests with their knowledge, experience and goodwill.