Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Book Review: Misappointing judges

I read a few of the chapters in Appointing Judges in an Age of Judicial Power: Critical Perspectives from around the World. I have to say I was disappointed with the Southeast Asia chapter. I noticed several basic errors with regards to countries i know well (for example, the Philippine Constitution was promulgated in 1987, not 1993). Furthermore, many of the "insights" were not all that insightful. I hope nobody needs to read this book to find out that the Communist Party of Vietnam has a monopoly over judicial appointments. This book is useful for getting an overview on the judicial appointment process of various countries, but be wary of relying on it alone without double-checking the country's laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment