Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sudan to ICC: Who cares?

I just came across a very interesting (and fairly aggressive) interview with Sudanese President
Omar al-Bashir, the man who had been indicted by the International Criminal Court. Here is one revealing quote:
Interviewer: You seem to show little concern for your safety here, despite the persistent rumors that you are threatened by a special commando that could execute the arrest warrant and take you to The Hague.
Bashir: I feel completely safe in my country. On the contrary, the International Criminal Court has even done me a service, one that I could never have dreamed of. My popularity at home has unexpectedly shot up as a result of this arrest warrant.

Obviously, this isn't directly related to Southeast Asia. However, I think this story should serve as a cautionary tale to Burmese activists who are petitioning to send Myanmar's generals to the ICC. Dragging powerful leaders before an international tribunal is nearly impossible without external military intervention or the cooperation of political elites.

No comments:

Post a Comment